Friday, June 19, 2009

juneteenth: a worthwhile celebration turned fail

I meant this as a return to the world of writing, but as I began to type out my pre-determined title I realized that I didn't want to talk about it anymore.

I mean, what is there to be said.  Juneteenth was initially a celebration of the news reacing Texas that the war was over, and that the slave were all free.  And that is a great thing to celebrated. What isn't celebrated is that we were the last to know.  Ever since, Texas has been one of the slowest states to change.  But I am not here to talk about that.


In truth, I have no clue what to say.  As a non-writer (science teacher by trade) I am allowed to be a less-than-fantastic linguist. But even so, I have come to understand that my oratorial shortcomings have the potential to be exaggerated in the generation to follow, so I must be mindful of what is said, and how I say it. Though the majority of young adults I see everyday may not be aware of it, I'm rubbing off on them.  At least I would like to believe so, it gives me hope for them. 


I'm by no way saying that I am the best example for them to follow. I'm far from it. I would however like to believe that the way I manage my life, surroundings, and relationships gives them ba window into how a responsible adult carries out daily life.


I think I can get used to this again.  Should be an interesting summer, if I can ever start it.
Thanks for listening.

No comments: